Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Rat Race Success!

I can't believe it is taking me so long to blog about this race! We went to Clearwater, FL the week before my race and I was so worried that was going to kill my training. Fortunately the weather was awesome and I woke up early a few days! I had this great run over the causeways one day that gave me a lot of confidence. Also the Florida climate was awesome for my allergies.
Sadly I did not run everyday and I definitely did not stay on a healthy eating plan. We flew home the Thursday before the race and Friday I just did a short run and swam.
Saturday I was a ball of nerves and I did not know why. It was cold and I shivered through Liam's soccer game. When I got home I was so cold that I decides to take a hot shower. Bill found it amusing that I was taking a shower before running a 5k. The shower worked wonders and I felt loose and ready to go.
Nancy and Andy picked me up and we headed down to the bike trail. We got to registration later than I had wanted to and they were all out of my size race shirt :( they gave me one from last year and Nancy traded me so it worked out. I told the group that I was shooting for 31 minutes. I know I am slow, but that's where I am.

The first mile felt great! I started towards the back and now I was racing past people. The bridge over the little Miami didn't seem nearly as steep this time. The second mile is always the toughest. I just kept trudging along. Then my friends Emily and Maren went flying past and at mile three I kicked it up again.

I never caught up, but I wasn't too far behind them. I finished with enough left in the tank to sprint it out at the finish line. Looking at the race clock I knew I had broken 30 mins. When I checked the website later in the week it actually said 28:31! That is ten minutes faster than last year!

I know this is slow for runners but I am still getting back into shape and so for me it is awesome. I felt a huge confidence boost for my upcoming tri.

My tri suit is on its way from California. It will not be pretty - but nothing about this race is going to be pretty. I am reveling in the nerdiness of this sport!

1 comment:

  1. Woohooo! Glad the Rat Race was a positive experience for you!

    ReplyDelete