Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Life Gets in the Way

Monday 1.75 mi run
20 min swim
55 min spinning

Tuesday 3.2 mi run
30 min swim 1500

I've decided to try and put my workouts on here so I can see how I improve over time. This week was not a great one in terms of training. I developed a nasty cold over the weekend and took three days off from training. In the past this is the type of thing that would derail my efforts, but Sunday night I received a message from the universe to keep going.  I demanded Chinese takeout for dinner on Sunday because I had very little sense of smell or taste and I thought the spicy food would help.  While driving home from the restaurant I decided to snack on my fortune cookie and this is what it said:


My cosmic sign from the universe to keep training.


This sport is definitely more expensive than sitting on the couch watching television. That cap is another 8 or so dollars down the tubes. My suit is also starting to show signs of wear. If I don't get a new one soon I will be exposing more than my skills in the pool!

Last week when I got in to swim my favorite Spin instructor Erin came to join me. She always tells me that she is last out of the water on all of her triathlons and so I invited her to swim with me so I could take a look at her stroke. I'm not an expert but I did coach for several years and I did have good training as a kid. I watched her swim a few laps, and then I went under the water and watched her stroke from below. I will never understand why coaches don't get in the water with their kids more because its so much easier to tell what they are doing wrong from below. After a bit I gave her a quick recommendation about her stroke and did a little demo to illustrate my point. A few laps later she stopped me to tell me I was awesome and that her stroke felt more natural and faster. She was surprised because she had had several people look at her stroke over the years and none of them (including coaches) had given her the advice that I did.

This was a such a boost for me because Erin has given me so much help in running and spinning. I was so happy to have a chance to give something back to her. It did make me long for my coaching days because I miss that rewarding sense of helping someone else.

Sadly that same day my swim cap ripped. I was mad because I spent extra dollars on a fancy silicone one for long hair. Apparently the product was not designed for my amount of long hair.
The sad remains of my specialized long hair silicone swim
cap - may it rest in peace.  After swimming without a cap
today I realized that I must get to Kast-a-way soon and
get a new one ASAP.  My hair was a wreck.

No comments:

Post a Comment